Heavyweight Champion of the Internet(Google), Loses title! Facebook Triumphs Supreme!
According to Hitwise (via TechCrunch ), Facebook has now surpassed Google as the most visited website on the internet. When I read this I got a bit overly excited, not that I’m a huge Facebook fan, but that Google can be challenged. A part of me hates the big guy and always routs for the underdog. Though Andy Beal brought me back down to reality.
Apparently these results don’t include traffic to Youtube, which I’m told is a pretty popular website, nor do they include the traffic to Flickr as part of yahoo. Which makes the awe-inspiring feat lose some of it’s awe and inspiration. Still it does go to show that you can build a small application or website, and 5 years later do the un-imaginable and become the most visited website in the world (though I wouldn’t quit the day job to focus on this dream just yet.)
Nifty Graphic from Hitwise:
Related articles by Zemanta
- Hitwise Says Facebook Is the Most Popular U.S. Site (seekingalpha.com)
- Facebook Is Now The Number One US Website – Poor Google Is Second (thenextweb.com)
- Facebook Overtakes Google as Most Popular U.S. Website (dailyfinance.com)
- HitWise: Facebook’s US Traffic Continues to Grow, Takes Over Visits Lead from Google (insidefacebook.com)
- Facebook most popular site in U.S. according to Hitwise (slyvisions.com)
Incoming search terms:
- hitwise techcrunch